Sri Lankan links

Tuesday 20 March 2007

I can play in the next Cup: Murali

PORT-OF-SPAIN, March 20: Sri Lanka's magical off-spinner Muthiah Muralitharan doesn't think there would ever come a day when he would pick up 1000 wickets in Tests.

"It's very difficult because you need another 300 wickets. It will take another 4-5 years or 40-45 Tests. I can only take it match by match," remarked Murali as he knuckled down to face Bangladesh and India in Group B this week.

Murali has picked up 674 wickets in 110 Tests with a phenomenal strike rate of 54.46 highlighted 57 5-wicket hauls.

Experts tip him to set a record which others would only dream about in future.

"Having said so, I must also say that I am still going up the ladder. Last year was my best as I took 96 wickets in 11 or 12 Tests.

"For all you know, I can go on to 40 years. I am 34 and in another four years I will be 38 so I could also play in the next World Cup.

"It's just how my mind thinks, how fit I am. I would love to play the next World Cup because it's on home soil."

Sri Lanka is seen as one of the red hot favourites for the cup with many viewing them as having the best attack in the competition.

"It's media which put favourites. Game in the middle is little different. Any team can beat anyone in One-day cricket. In this game of 50 overs, a matter of 15 overs can change everything.

"As for having the best attack, it depends on how you play in the park. Form on paper doesn't matter at all.

No comments:

stat